*
*
*
*
*

A FEW THINGS


This is a recipe from Smitten Kitchen which I make all the time when it's cold out - I especially like the hint of red wine vinegar (and sometimes I add a dollop of butter).

Stewed Lentils & Tomatoes
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa at Home
2 teaspoons good olive oil
2 cups large-diced yellow onions (2 onions)
2 cups large-diced carrots (3 to 4 carrots)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes
1 cup French green lentils (7 ounces)
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and the carrots and cook over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more.

Meanwhile, place the canned plum tomatoes, including the juice, in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse several times until the tomatoes are coarsely chopped. Rinse and pick over the lentils to make sure there are no stones in the package.

Add the tomatoes, lentils, broth, curry powder, thyme, salt and pepper to the pan. Raise the heat to bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer covered for about 40 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Check occasionally to be sure the liquid is still simmering. Remove from the heat and allow the lentils to sit covered for another 10 minutes. Add the vinegar, season to taste and serve hot.


Some tangerine-coloured things - a notebook from Korea, some nail polish (Chanel's Orange Fizz is my favourite), The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis, which I pick up every now and then, and a little bear (also from Korea).



 Here's a miniature 'in my bag' post (inspired by Anabela's more comprehensive one).  I recently bought this little Baggu pouch from Philistine to go inside my larger tote.

Inside are some makeup products I've been using lately:

NARS Gaiety blush (perfectly baby doll!)
Chanel nail polish in June
YSL Touche Eclat and Eyeliner Effet Faux Cils Shocking
 
I've been practicing winged cat-eyes ever since Bernadette posted a little how-to illustration.  I've been enjoying the YSL liner, but perhaps next I'll try Bobbi Brown's.  That MAC paint in Bare Canvas is something I've used for years - I don't really like to wear eyeshadow, but this product just brightens everything up and still looks quite natural.


Last Thursday I took myself for a brunch at Saving Grace.  I love eating out alone and Saving Grace is my favourite place to do so (well, that and Swan).  I had their frittata of the day (it had black rice, roasted red peppers, green onions, etc. in it) and the pear/ginger juice.  Accompanying me was Lorrie Moore's Like Life.

  
Coriander Girl, my favourite flower shop, is moving! Today was Alison's last day in her current location, but she'll be reopening on February 12th just up the street.  Today she had a special sale, as well as so many delicious cookies from Yummy Stuff.  It was a very happy visit.





39 comments:

  1. those flowers are to die for! i've never been to coriander girl, but i've always loved her work whenever i've seen it. i'm going to have to make a stop once she's in the new shop!

    how did you find the service at saving grace? we always find it's so out of our way we never go, but lately we've been wanting something new (with good service! somehow so hard to find in this city...grr).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The service at Saving Grace is good - relaxed! I don't go to often, but when I do, I like to go mid-week. It's way too hectic on weekends.

      Delete
  2. delicious, beautiful, delicious, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my goodness katie, those flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh! Tara, aren't they the best? Although when I lived in Hamilton I did like Muscari on Locke Street as well!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the winged eyeliner tip! I think i'm finally going to try it out

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your posts - they are always so beautiful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, so good. That blush is such an amazing shade of pink!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good - so nice and blue-ish. I like it a bit better than Desire, I think.

      Delete
  7. Girl your photos always make me so jealous! mmm I could have Saving Grace every day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum lentils are my winter favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, how do you like your Baggu? I'm thinking of getting the leather bag. And this post has inspired me to go eat brunch with my book this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like it - it's nice to slip inside my larger tote so I don't have to dig around for lipsticks, etc.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful. Going to try the lentil stew too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I make it so much - so cheap/easy/delicious.

      Delete
  11. I love love your photos, I don't know how you do it but you manage to make from ordinary food/make-up extraordinary pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your bouquet is gorgeous! it was great meeting you at the shop yesterday - i love being able to put a (real life) face to the name.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was so good meeting you, too. See you around soon xox

      Delete
  13. I add bay leaves (greek version) instead of thyme and curry. but I want to try your version too. how about this touche eclat? is it good? I always wanted to buy it but never did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it so far. Before I used a Makeup Forever concealer which I may go back to after this one is done.

      Delete
  14. You had me at Lydia Davis, but then you went and showcased Lorrie Moore. She was one of my first favorite writers. So great. Love seeing these writers paired with cosmetics, food, and flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 (p.s. I'm so going to make that caramel cake, soon!)

      Delete
  15. Oh! So wonderful! Especially the flowers and that brass-collar.
    Love your photos so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where is the silver collar from? Do you have any recommendations of where I can find a simliar one in downtownToronto or on etsy? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hii! The silver collar is from Bicyclette (http://www.shopbicyclette.ca/).

      Delete
  17. Neeeeed to try that Lentil recipe asap! Looks so tasty!

    {Satin&Souffles}

    ReplyDelete
  18. what brand is the black wallet you have featured here? In the same photos as the baggu leather pouch (which I love! And am seriously considering purchasing one for myself...)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would recommend the Chanel ligne exteme for your cat-wings I like the precision of a brush rather than a pen which can blob. Big fan of NARS so loving your make up posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i have the large CDG clutch wallet and it totally fell apart... so disappointing when you spend so much $ on it, thinking it will last forever and then it falls apart in a year. i would never buy their wallets again. if you like that look though, Celine makes a great one, and Maison Margiela is always good.

    ReplyDelete