*
*
*
*
*

WEEKEND BREAKFAST

Flaky Biscuits (a recipe from my mother)

Note: Increasing the butter makes them tenderer, flakier, and more flavourful. (I alwaaaays increase the butter.)

2 cups sifted flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 stick of cold, unsalted butter cut into 6 pieces
2/3 milk
2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese (I like using old cheddar)
snipped chives

Preheat oven to 450F.  Sift dry ingredients into bowl.  Cut in butter.  The butter should be the size of small peas.  Add the milk, cheese, and chives. Mix thoroughly.  Turn out onto a floured surface and flatten with hands.  Cut with biscuit cutter and place on cookie sheet.  Paint the tops of each with milk using your finger.  Bake for ten minutes or until golden.

One Christmas my mother gave me a homemade book of recipes that I've enjoyed over the years.  I make these flaky biscuits on weekends when I have nothing to do in the morning - so relaxing, easy, and comforting.  I usually just make a half batch, though, which is more than enough for Carlos and I.  Serve with jam and enjoy.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so good! You have a very, very beautiful blog. Thank you for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom looks like a great cook, I hope you post more of her recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am definitely going to try this recipe. looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a nice gift to get! i wish my mother would give me a recipe book as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are in the oven right now!

    just a tip, if you don't have a pastry cutter like myself (the shame!), you can throw the butter in the freezer for an hour before making the scones and then grate the butter into the flour mixture using a cheese grater.

    also, i made half the batch switching out the chives for chopped apple. apple-cheddar dream team don't fail me now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh katie...i just realized i sound like i'm posting in the smitten kitchen comment section!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing the recipe, I will try to make some soon.

    I go to Paris in less than a week, I will be thinking about you. Would have love to see you person when you visited...

    xxx
    Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best flaky biscuits...but when I make them they are properly defined as "scone." Light hands are apparently key.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh these look so good - im definitely going to try making these next week for brunch xoxo

    ReplyDelete